When you enter an equation into the calculator, the calculator will begin by expanding (simplifying) the problem. Then it will attempt to solve the equation by using one or more of the following: addition, subtraction, division, taking the square root of each side, factoring, and completing the square.
Any lowercase letter may be used as a variable.
Exponents are supported on variables using the ^ (caret) symbol. For example, to express x2, enter x^2. Note: exponents must be positive integers, no negatives, decimals, or variables. Exponents may not currently be placed on numbers, brackets, or parentheses.
Parentheses and Brackets
Parentheses ( ) and brackets [ ] may be used to group terms as in a standard equation or expression.
Multiplication, Addition, and Subtraction
For addition and subtraction, use the standard + and - symbols respectively. For multiplication, use the * symbol. A * symbol is not necessary when multiplying a number by a variable. For instance: 2 * x can also be entered as 2x. Similarly, 2 * (x + 5) can also be entered as 2(x + 5); 2x * (5) can be entered as 2x(5). The * is also optional when multiplying with parentheses, example: (x + 1)(x - 1).
Order of Operations
The calculator follows the standard order of operations taught by most algebra books - Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction. The only exception is that division is not currently supported; attempts to use the / symbol will result in an error.
Division, Square Root, Radicals, Fractions
The above features are not supported.
Sign up for free to access more Algebra resources like . Wyzant Resources features blogs, videos, lessons, and more about Algebra and over 250 other subjects. Stop struggling and start learning today with thousands of free resources!
- How do you discover arbitrage opportunities
- What places accept bitcoin
- Have high school dropouts ever become millionaires
- What is router
- How has Quora made your life better
- What are speed
- Average bit rate of streams on YouTube
- How did you overcome suffering
- What does domo arigato gozaimashita mean
- What is Zoroaster
- What is hash data
- Whats the solution to bad body odour
- How do I view cash in myntra
- Will cryptocurrencies ever replace actual currencies?no_redirect=1
- What is needed to make oxygen
- What type of grandparent will you be
- Why are French footballers mostly black
- Is it bad to eat meat cold
- What is volumetric strain
- How can you describe Western civilization?no_redirect=1